Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What Adobe Air Should be able to do but does'nt!

Alright, after working with adobe air for sometime, I find myself longing for the following features.

 

1.Ability to execute system processes -  I do understand that this poses a security riskl, but what the hell.? The user is installing AIR as an administrator after all. Adobe should learn from SUN here and do what java does best. Even though java is meant to be cross platform, it does provide developers with options like JNI API to use native code whenever required.

 

2.Ability to add options to context menu on file/folder icons – Remember how svn or winzip can add multiple options to context menus that comes when you right click on a file?? This is something I would really love to have in my air application . And no its not there! Cant believe they missed it.

 

3.AIR can have an API to parse EXCEL/WORD files – What I am trying to say is something like apache POI that helps AIR apps to read and write binary data from files in the files ystem and make sense out of it. Even a bridge between Apache POI and air might do the trick

 

4.Auto Sync API – Synching the built in sqlite database can be simpler. Some kind of an auto sync api to update the local db will be very helpful .Right now its just possible to detect a change in network connectivity and you are on your own to do what is to be done.

 

That’s it for now. I will add as soon as I find myself wanting more. Still love AIR/FLEX though! J

 

 

 




Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, AIR has the ability to to #1 with the Merapi class libraries, I think, and #3 and #4 are both possible - they just haven't been built as public APIs yet.